Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Good American by Alex George

I don't remember who in blog land suggested this book, but I am so glad that they did.  It is quite a tale.

The novel begins in Germany and ends in Beatrice, Missouri.  Two young lovers can't get their parents to accept the idea of marriage, so they get on a ship for America.  The ship captain marries them and the family history begins. 

Three generations of family stories are told.  There is heartbreak, happiness, poverty, success, and the mundane existence of middle America, all woven into the fabric of American History from 1905 to present day. 

If we were willing to research our family histories, listening closely to the stories of our grandparents and having access to private letters and journals, what a story we could probably tell. 

And that is exactly what George does.  For the most part, he makes it seem like this fictional work really could be the stories of one family. 

A Good American made for interesting reading.  Sometimes it is easy to forget the struggles of our ancestors, but this book reminds us of the sacrifices made for the next generation to succeed. Some links of family are broken forever, and others stand the test of time.

Heartwarming story.  One of the best books that I have read in awhile. 

1 Comments:

At June 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM , Blogger Scriptor Senex said...

I always find it regrettable when I can't recall who recommended a book. I feel a bit guilty that I can't thank them when I enjoy it. I should keep a note when I add them to my 'To be read' list as I will this.

 

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers: what you think or what you're reading.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home