Monday, April 23, 2012

Bloom by Kelle Hampton

I just finished Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected.  When Kelle Hampton gave birth to her 2nd daughter, she was unprepared for a Down Syndrome baby.  This is her story. 

Hampton's reaction is understandable--and she is horrified by it.  The rest of her book is coming to grips with being a Down Syndrome Mom and how that will change her family.

Maybe more than that, this is a good lesson in choosing our attitude and choosing to live with purpose.  If you're looking for a shot of "change your attitude" mixed with a little "live deliberately" this is the book for you.  Prepare yourself to feel like you don't do celebrations the way you should.  (Hampton makes our celebrations on Easy Street look pathetic by comparison.)

Finally, this is a book about the friendship of women.  Hampton's girlfriends are a big part of the birth and the coming to grips with what life is going to be like now.  I guess we expect family to be there for us.  (Hampton's family is an important part of her support group.)  We should all be so lucky to have the girlfriends that Hampton relies on. 

2 Comments:

At April 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM , Blogger Kim said...

I read her blog, but I haven't read the book yet. And I agree with you about her celebrations. Oh my goodness! I truly don't know how she has time for all she does. While being a Mommy, she has time to fix up the woods like a fairy tea party? Write a book and have it end up on the bestseller list? Write blog posts for Hallmark? Pretty amazing!

 
At April 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM , Anonymous Katie @Can't Get There said...

I have a thing for memoirs lately - I need to add this one!

Right now I'm working through both The Bear's Embrace about a woman's recovery from a grizzly mauling and Smashed about a young woman's decision to beat her alcohol addiction. Both a great reads that are easy to fall into, but neither seem to have hit that top gear you found in Bloom.

 

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers: what you think or what you're reading.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home