Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Two Books On This Tuesday

So what am I reading right now?  Actually, two books.

Cousin H suggested the book Wild by Cheryl Strayed.  She said the story line reminded her a bit of Peter Jenkins' book Walk Across America.  I loved that book, and it marked the beginning of a lifelong love of nonfiction.

I'm reading Wild on my Nook eReader.  I love it.  I cried through the early chapters, but I admire Strayed's courage in attacking this journey on the Pacific Crest Trail. I find myself wishing I could plan a long hiking trip.  I'm only six chapters in, and I am enjoying the description of her trip and coming to grip with her demons.

Last summer, cousin M sent me the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books, the Stieg Larsson trilogy.  It has been a hectic school year, but I am finally reading The Girl Who Played With Fire. I am glad to finally have time to read; I am completely sucked into this second book. 

I usually hate mysteries.  Often, they spend time trying to scare the reader. (Fear is highly overrated for this reader.  I don't like being afraid.  I avoid horror movies for this reason.)  Larsson writes a mystery of intrigue.  I like his characters, and I especially like the fact that I can't figure out how the story is going to end.  He isn't predictable.

Cousin M, I hope to finish the 2nd and move on to the 3rd so I can return your books by summer.  Thanks for your generous loan, and I'm sorry I am so slow.

So, this is what is on my end table today.  Two great books at one time-- that doesn't happen every day!

1 Comments:

At April 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM , Anonymous Katie @Can't Get There said...

I LOVE this idea! How often am I bugging you to find out what you're reading? lol

Wild is on my To-Read list - glad it's as good as it sounds! I just read the Dragon Tattoo series last month and I loved them, quite unexpectedly.

Right now I'm reading Eugenides' The Marriage Plot and Anshaw's Carry the One and both are disappointing, I'm sorry to say.

 

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers: what you think or what you're reading.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home